As Brock University’s vacation close approaches, students, staff, and faculty are reminded of several mental health and wellness resources available to them during vacation and early on. of the new year.
Support for student mental health and well-being
Students seeking mental health support and personal counseling can access licensed professional counselors 24/7 through the “My Student Support Program (My SPP)” mobile app. Free, confidential, real-time text chat and phone support are available in five languages: English, French, Spanish, Mandarin, and Cantonese (Simplified Chinese via chat).
In addition to live and immediate support, the app also offers an extensive library of mental health and wellness resources, including articles, podcasts, infographics, and videos; free and unlimited access to the LIFT virtual fitness application; and anonymous, evidence-based self-assessments that can help students identify risks for mental health problems such as depression, general anxiety, and substance abuse.
The app can be downloaded from the Apple App Store or Google Play. When creating a profile, students must enter “Brock University Student Counseling Program” as the school.
Support for employee mental health and well-being
Brock University employees have free and confidential access to mental health and wellness supports through the University’s Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP), LifeWorks. All Brock faculty and staff, and their immediate family members, can access EFAP support services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by calling 1-844-880-9137.
The LifeWorks wellness website and mobile app are also available to all current Brock University employees. Staff and faculty can register at brockuniversity.lifeworks.com using a unique invite code included in an email received from LifeWorks to their Brock email in April 2021. Once registered and logged in, employees can invite up to five family members to join LifeWorks. Platform. The LifeWorks mobile app can be downloaded from the Apple App Store or Google Play.
LifeWorks offers articles, podcasts and videos on a variety of topics; self-assessments of financial, mental, physical and social well-being; automated fitness trails and access to live chat to coaches via the LIFT session app; and exclusive discounts and special offers called “perks”.
Topics for articles, podcasts, and videos include:
- Health – addiction, alcohol, drugs, child safety and mental health, health care providers, mental health support, anxiety, depression, stress, diet and nutrition, exercise and fitness, mindfulness, sleep, pregnancy, illness heart, long-term illness, mental and physical health of the elderly.
- Family – caring for a new baby, adopting a child, babysitting, coping with death and loss, friends and family relationships, family law, wills, divorce / separation, caring for parents older, work-life balance, communication with children.
- Life – critical incidents, natural disasters, suicide prevention, living or caring for a person with a disability, moving, moving for work, legal issues, end of life planning, personal growth, organization, personal communication, couples, friends, being single, planning for retirement and transition.
- Work – career development, networking, training, communication skills with managers, leadership and motivation, labor relations, flexible and remote working, time off and time off, time management.
- Money – financial planning, investing, taxes, income changes, money management, budgeting, debt, savings, fraud and identity theft.
The LifeWorks platform also offers several free online self-guided wellness programs. CareNow programs are based on cognitive behavioral therapy and include techniques and strategies that employees can use to become and stay healthy.
CareNow programs include:
- achieve financial well-being
- to face
- separation / divorce
- substance abuse
- stopping smoking and nicotine
- work-life balance
A recording of a recent briefing that reviewed many of the EFAP offers available to Brock employees is posted on YouTube:
Additional information about the EFAP is available in the Health, Safety and Wellness toolkit on SharePoint.
Questions about the EFAP or the LifeWorks platform – including resources, programs and employee login details – can be emailed to [email protected]
Additional health and wellness resources for students and employees
Therapist-guided cognitive behavioral therapy sessions are offered free of charge to all residents of Ontario through Mind Beacon, with funding from the Government of Ontario. The website also offers a wide range of articles and virtual events related to mental wellness.
Mental health supports and resources are also available through:
Health concerns, including advice regarding COVID-19, can be requested through Telehealth Ontario by calling 1-866-797-0000.
Brock Recreation Services offers free access to fitness classes through ExpressFit on Demand. The Brock University Library offers a free YouTube Library Yoga playlist.
Brock University Campus Security can be reached by calling 905-688-5550 x3200 (crisis) or x4300 (non-crisis).